The weather is warming and that means less clothing! If you’re reluctant to show a little skin, don’t worry, I have you (un)covered! Healthy skin means beautiful skin. But it’s really something that can only be achieved from the inside out! All the lotions and potions in the world won’t improve your skin’s appearance. You must change your diet first!
The skin has many layers, it’s continuously rebuilding its cellular structures. What we eat today will affect how our skin looks in about 4 to 6 weeks time. Every time you put something in your body, remember that it will eventually show up on the outside, so consistency is key. Begin incorporating whole foods into your diet everyday and you WILL become a Glowing Goddess in no time! This applies to the men too (we know you like to look good!)
Eat Your Vegetables
- Greens are rich in minerals. A healthy supply of silica, calcium, magnesium, sulphur, and selenium will keep your connective tissue strong and vibrant! Make it a goal to eat greens with every meal. Choose greens such as kale, chard, spinach, cabbage, broccoli, brussel sprouts, and cauliflower (the “white” green). Beets are another amazing skin renewing veggie, as are asparagus, red peppers, and purple cabbage. Think color!
- Fats are a key ingredient for glowing and radiant skin! Every cell in our body consists of a lipid (aka FAT) bi-layer. In order to keep our cells fluid and moving, we need to feed them the right type of fats! Include plenty of foods such as fatty fish (salmon, cod, sardines), eggs, flax, hemp, walnuts, brazil nuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, avocado, olive oil, and coconut.
- Our skin loves Vitamin C! Start your morning off with a warm glass of lemon water. It will nourish your body, detoxify your liver, and keep your skin hydrated and glowing! Squeeze the juice of half a lemon into one cup of warm or room temperature water first thing upon waking. You can add lemons in other ways too! On a salad, in a smoothie, or on top of fish.
- Berries are chock full of antioxidants and bioflavonoids. They’ll slow down the aging process and keep your skin young and supple! Incorporate plenty of blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and blackberries into your diet.
- We’ve all heard that dehydration is bad for the skin right? We don’t want to be raisins do we? NO! We want to be grapes! So get that water in. Aim for 8-10 cups per day. Use your thirst signal as a guide, but also consider things like how much you exercise, how much cooked vs raw food you consume, and whether you drink a lot of caffeine.
- This is an absolute must when it comes to beautiful glowing skin! Bone broth is rich in collagen and protein, two essentials in building healthy connective tissue. Drink a cup a day to reap the full benefits of this nutrient dense elixir. Or if you don’t want to make it yourself, buy some collagen powder and add it to a smoothie or coffee. Here’s my favourite stuff!
Glowing Goddess Green Smoothie
½ lemon or lime
2 handfuls of spinach
½ chopped apple
½ cup pineapple chunks
2 mint leaves
About 1 cup water
Place everything in blender, and blend until smooth. Serve cold. Makes 1 serving
Take care readers and BE WELL!